Search This Blog

Sunday 4 April 2010

My Memela Lady


Memelas are one of Mexico's simple pleasures. They are simple, filling, tasty and between the hours of about 11am and 3pm, seem to be being made by a village lady on what seems like every second street corner in Mexico. Luckily for me, this friendly and talented lady sets up her stall at the end of our street everyday.

My favourite Memela comes in its simplest form of a freshly rolled, pressed and tortilla cooked on a hot plate with a little oil and topped with salsa verde (green sauce of green tomatoes, coriander, a little salt and jalapenos), a little diced onion and some crumbed white cheese. Hopefully before I return to Australia I will learn how to grow or obtain the essential green tomatoes for this wonderful salsa and also locate the cheese. If anyone out there already knows, please let me know.

Memelas also come with salsa rojo (red sauce), mushrooms, chicharon (a version of pork cracking), zuccinni flowers and no doubt many other variations.

For some reason, the only people who seem to make memelas are ladies like this one who travel to town from their village to set up their stalls. They are immediately recognisable by their aprons, long hair (often plaited) and hardened finger tips from years of flipping tortillas on the hotplate.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to find them in Cabo San Lucas this last week Trin but nowhere to be found. I wonder are they are regional only from Pueblo? Sounds delicious. J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought memelas were everywhere in Mexico, but then I haven't seen all of it yet. they are definitely everywhere in Puebla

    ReplyDelete